Tuesday, June 7, 2011

OLPC Educates the Children of Nepal

Well, I just returned from a very busy 15-day trip to Nepal. Thanks to the wonderful organization One Laptop Per Child, I brought 10 of their amazing laptops with me and distributed them among various orphanages, schools and shelters. Before I handed them out, however, I met with Rabi Karmacharya at Open Learning Exchange Nepal, headquartered in Kathmandu. Rabi and his tremendously helpful team took time from their busy schedules to download special Nepali educational programs onto my laptops. The programs included various curriculum created by the OLE Nepal team of experts.





Rabi showed me some of the curriculum, and I was extremely impressed. I was even more impressed when I saw how quickly the children took to the learning materials. Rabi and his team are implementing innovative and high-quality programs into Nepal's public education system, a system that unfortunately has numerous flaws and obstacles. An engineering graduate from MIT, Rabi could have chosen a very cushy life. Instead, he and his talented team are focusing their skills and brain power to educate the neediest among us. Thank you Rabi and all the great people at OLE Nepal!

2 comments:

  1. I´v been reading your blog and got a lot of inspirations :-) thank you !!
    In nov. 2011 on my first trip to Nepal, I got involved with OLPC in Kathmandu,Nepal ,and had a meeting with the funder: Rabi Karmacharya . My first task is to motivate for implementation of OLPC/ONE LAPTOP PER CHILD - in one of our Nepal projects - the new village school of Kachila, 11 km from Tulsipur, Dang province, southwest Nepal, http://olenepal.org
    Few years ago opened a village school in Kachila, 11 km. from Tulsipur.
    MY blog
    fundraising-nj.blogspot.com
    click for google translate :
    http://translate.google.dk/translate?hl=da&sl=da&tl=en&u=fundraising-nj.blogspot.com

    The school is 137 children from surrounding villages, some have 1 ½ hour walk to school. There are from preschool through 6th.The small school consists of 2 two-storey buildings, and the students sitting near the straw mats on the floor. The only furniture is a black-painted plate, which acts as a blackboard.

    The children come from Tharufamilier. Tharus, 6.6% of Nepal's population is an ethnic group with its own language and culture.



    Because Tharus were illiterate and had no paper on their land, many of them cheated ground and ended up as debt slaves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such an interesting blog! I heard that lots of people in Nepal are uneducated and It's good to know that there are organization helps the children to be educated. I found a children's non-profit which help to find the missing children.

    ReplyDelete